Apple Fries & Vanilla Cream
I’ll admit it: I have zero chill. I’m about as basic as basic gets and fall is my jam. I’ve already lit my pumpkin candle and bookmarked over a dozen apple and pumpkin recipes. No. Chill. No. Shame. While I’ve been able to resist the urge to pull out all of my fall decorations, I haven’t been able to say the same for whipping up those apple based recipes. I just can’t help it, you guys. It’s a sickness. I made these delicious Apple Fries and Vanilla Cream last week and they’re the perfect transitional treat.
I started by peeling, coring, and slicing several apples into wedges.
I coated the apples with some cornstarch.
And prepped a shallow bowl with an apple cinnamon mixture.
I warmed a pan filled with oil up until the oil was hot (sizzles when I sprinkle some flour in it). Once the oil was hot enough, I dropped the apples into the oil, allowing them to cook and soften for several minutes on each side.
Once the apples were done, I removed them and dropped them directly into the cinnamon mixture, coating them completely before removing them to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to rest.
While the apples cooled down enough to eat, I worked on the vanilla cream by adding some whipping cream to a mixing bowl.
Then I added in some powdered sugar and plenty of vanilla before placing the bowl in my mixer.
I used a medium high setting on my mixer for several minutes until stiff peaks formed from the whipping cream.
By the time the vanilla cream was ready, the apples were cool enough to eat.
I served the Apple Fries and Vanilla Cream to my community group that visits once a week in my home. I sprinkled a little extra cinnamon over the cream for dipping and set out small plates for my friends to serve themselves. The apples were delicious all my themselves (plus, they made my house smell so good!), but with the slightly sweet vanilla cream, they were… just. So. Yum.
- two granny smith apples
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- one tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- oil (enough to cover bottom of your pan)
- one cup whipping/heavy cream
- one tablespoon vanilla
- two tablespoons powdered sugar
- Fill the bottom of a frying pan with oil (I used vegetable oil) and heat it up over medium high heat.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into wedges and coat them in cornstarch.
- Drop them into the oil once it's hot and allow them to cook for several minutes on each side.
- When apples are cooked through, remove them from pan and drop them into cinnamon sugar mixture, tossing to coat.
- Place the apples on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to cool.
- While the apples cool, add whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar to mixing bowl.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, mix ingredients on medium high until stiff peaks form.
- Dip the apple fries into the cream and enjoy!