During the summer months, I love using my slow cooker. Aside from keeping the hot oven off and keeping my home cool, I love easy meal solutions during the long summer days that help to simplify our daily schedules. This Slow Cooker Creamy Italian Chicken tastes amazing, uses little effort, and with just a few additions creates an entire meal for the whole family.
I start by adding some chicken breasts to my slow cooker.
Next I add a packet of Italian dressing mix.
And then I top it off with some chicken broth before setting it to cook on high for several hours (my chicken was frozen, so it needed some extra time).
Once the chicken is cooked through, I pull it out of the slow cooker, dice it up, and place it back in on the warm setting.
While the chicken rests, I take some finely diced onion and sauté it in a large skillet with some garlic.
Then I add in some cream cheese, a little chicken broth, a can of cream of chicken soup, and a little salt and pepper.
I combine all the ingredients together until smooth and then add it to the slow cooker with the chicken.
Then I boil some pasta and once it’s cooked through, I drain it and add it to the slow cooker with the chicken and cream sauce.
I give it all a good stir and add some fresh parsley to the mix before serving.
I serve it immediately while it’s nice and hot. It’s such a perfect comfort food that’s easy to whip up in the summer months especially since it utilizes a slow cooker. I usually serve this with broccoli since it works well to sop up any leftover cream sauce on my plate, ha!
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 packet Italian dressing mix
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 brick cream cheese
- 1 box penne pasta
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley, optional garnish
- In slow cooker add chicken, 1/4 cup chicken broth, and Italian mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours if thawed and high for 6 hours if frozen.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove from slow cooker and dice into pieces.
- Place chicken back in slow cooker and set aside.
- In a large skillet sauté onion and garlic until fragrant (about one minute) and add cream of chicken soup, broth, and cream cheese.
- Simmer, whisking frequently until all ingredients are combined and smooth cream sauce forms.
- Transfer cream sauce to slow cooker with chicken and combine.
- Prepare pasta per directions on box and combine with cream and chicken mixture.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.