My husband and I host a weekly community group in our home with our church. It’s become one of our favorite days of the week and it’s a running joke that the way I entice people to come is with my sweets. I try to whip up something new and tasty to serve our friends each week. My love language is food, which means no one leaves my house with an empty stomach.
A few weeks ago, I made this Strawberry Trifle, a recipe I got from my sister who served it to me and my family during a visit we made to her home. It was creamy strawberry perfection and I knew I was going to need the recipe as soon as that first bite hit my mouth.
To start, I diced up a full carton of strawberries and set them aside.
Then I grabbed a bowl and added a packet of vanilla pudding mix, some sweetened condensed milk, and water and mixed it all together. I covered it and stuck it in the fridge for exactly five minutes. I even set a timer because I didn’t want the pudding mix to get completely solid yet.
While the pudding mixture chilled, I cubed a store bought pound cake.
Once the pudding mixture had chilled for a perfect five minutes, I pulled it out and folded in a container of Cool Whip.
Next, I set up my strawberries, pound cake, and pudding mixture in an assembly line and layered them little by little in a clear trifle dish. First pudding, then cake, then strawberries. Repeat until you’ve used everything.
Once it was layered, I covered it and stuck it in the fridge to firm up for two hours before serving it to my community group. Everyone loved it and I think I caught a couple people going back for thirds. I sent everyone home with a small plate full to share with their family members who couldn’t make it.
This Strawberry Trifle makes a perfect potluck dish since it travels well. You won’t mess anything up with this layered treat! And it’s just so yummy! In fact, I bet this would be the most requested recipe at the potluck.
- one quart strawberries
- vanilla pudding mix (large packet)
- one can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- one pound cake (store brand is fine)
- one tub (16 oz) Cool Whip
- Dice strawberries up and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine vanilla pudding mix, condensed milk, and water.
- Place mixture into fridge for five minutes.
- While mixture is setting, dice up pound cake into small squares.
- After five minutes, pull out pudding mixture from fridge and fold in cool whip.
- In a large trifle dish layer pudding mixture, then pound cake, then strawberries. Repeat in layers until all three ingredients are completely gone.