Peppermint Patties are in my top five favorite candies. I rarely buy the chocolate covered versions because I know I’ll eat the entire bag. Hello, my name is Holly and I have zero self-control with peppermint patties. But once a year, I like to create my homemade version to give as a gift for my little dudes to give to their teachers. Teacher Appreciation Day is on May 5th, so I typically make these around that time to make sure we show our sincere gratitude in the form of my love language: food.
To start I combined some softened butter and corn syrup in a bowl.
And I added some powdered sugar and a few drops of peppermint essential oil (you can also use extract if you prefer) and beat it all together until just combined.
And then I added even more powdered sugar and stirred it all together until it reached an almost-dough-like texture.
I dusted a cutting board with even more powdered sugar and then poured the contents of the bowl over it.
And I kneaded it all together until it became a pliable dough before dividing the dough into three portions.
I added food coloring to each one and kneaded each portion until the color was saturated throughout.
I molded the dough into small balls and then rolled them in granulated sugar.
And then I gently flattened them with a fork.
Once I was done, I allowed the candies to set for 24 hours in the open air before wrapping them up in airtight containers for our teachers.
These creamy decadent candies are minty fresh and super delicious. They’re packed full of sugar (clearly!), but somehow don’t taste like it? Which means they can be dangerous to keep around if you’re watching your sugar intake. These should definitely be consumed sparingly, but when you do enjoy them, they are melt in your mouth divine! If peppermint isn’t your thing, you can easily substitute for lemon extract, which is also incredible!
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2-3 drops peppermint essential oil (more or less to taste)
- food coloring
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Combine butter and corn syrup together in a large bowl.
- Add two cups powdered sugar and peppermint essential oil.
- Beat until well combined.
- Add additional peppermint essential oil one drop at a time until the mixture reaches your desired flavor.
- Stir in one additional cup of powdered sugar.
- Turn bowl over to cutting board covered with last cup of powdered sugar.
- Knead mixture until sugar is absorbed and mixture reaches a dough-like texture.
- Divide dough into three portions.
- Tint portions using food coloring using just a few drops of each color.
- Shape into ¾ inch balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Flatten gently with a fork.
- Let candies stand uncovered for 24 hours.
- Store in airtight container.