Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
I’m feeling all kinds of Mama Rockstar today. We had our car seats inspected yesterday and the ginger-mustached police officer gave me a glowing review, “You are the most dialed in parent I’ve seen today, well…actually, maybe ever!” Then, as if the universe somehow knew I needed the extra encouragement, my son’s teacher jumped in to tell officer ginger-stache what incredible parents my husband and I are and how she is impressed at how well we have blended our family. I cried. And then while other parents were begrudgingly accepting a new carseat installed by fellow officers, I drove away high on that I’m-doing-something-right glow.
I made this slow cooker honey sesame chicken last night in hopes to continue my Mama Rockstar high and it was all kinds of amaze. Packed with flavor, fairly easy to make, and enough sauce to cover a bed of rice, it was the perfect Asian meal to satisfy our bellies. We love Asian food in our home and when I nail a perfectly balanced sweet and salty recipe, we all sing my praises. Excuse me as I go and brush my shoulders off. Don’t worry, the universe kept it’s balance and granted me with a cold today, as if to say, “Simmer down, Sriracha, you’re so not all that and you need to take it down a notch humble bragger.”
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced onion (dried)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- sesame seeds
- green onions, sliced
- Cut chicken into cubes and put in slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, garlic, onion, barbecue sauce, and Sriracha and pour over chicken.
- Stir sauce into chicken until all pieces are coated.
- Cook on low for four hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker.
- Transfer sauce from slow cooker to a large skillet on medium heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water.
- Add cornstarch mixture to sauce and stir constantly until sauce thickens.
- Turn heat down to low and add chicken to sauce.
- While simmering, stir to ensure all chicken is coated.
- Serve over rice and top with sesame seeds and green onions.