This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias
While I am not a Latina myself, my husband is half & our children all have Latin roots; so cooking authentic meals or with authentic ingredients weaved into meals for my family that connects them with their heritage is important to me. I want them to feel connected to their culture & the best way I know how to help with that is through my love language: food. That means becoming familiar with (& loving!) Latin food.
Since my kids are all halfsies of two strong cultures, I thought a fun recipe to create would be a classic American recipe for macaroni salad combined with authentic Mexican ingredients using La Morena products to create a Mexican macaroni salad was pretty clever. #VivaLaMorena
This Mexican Macaroni salad is flavorful, a little spicy, & oh so delicious. You can also easily adjust the spice level based on your preference. The Sosa family loves our spice, so we go a little heavy with the chipotle sauce. Ohhhhh, chipotleeeeee, how weee looovvveeee theeeeee. So much, in fact, that I made a GIF dedicated just to chipotle sauce.
INGREDIENTS (adapted from The Pioneer Woman)
- elbow macaroni (one pound, cooked per directions on box, drained, & rinsed in cold water)
- one can (15 oz) yellow corn (drained)
- one can (15 oz) black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- four Roma tomatoes (chopped)
- cilantro (chopped)
- La Morena sliced jalapeños (to taste)
- 1/4 cup La Morena chipotle sauce
- one cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- two limes (juiced)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- In a medium bowl, combine La Morena chipotle sauce, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, cumin, limes, salt, & pepper until well mixed. This is where you’ll add more or less chipotle sauce to your preference. I use just about an entire can of La Morena chipotle sauce in mine! Set aside. In a large bowl, add the macaroni, corn, beans, olives, tomatoes, cilantro, & jalapeños & give it a good stir or two just to start mixing everything together. Next, add about half of your dressing & toss the salad together until it’s nicely coated. Go ahead & give it a taste. Just try not to dive in, I dare ya! Ha! Add more dressing to your liking. If you’re anything like me, you’ll pour that entire bowl over it. I love my salad dressings, can you tell? You can add more cilantro & jalapeños over the top just before serving for a lovely colored & festive looking dish that adds Latin flavor to any get together!