I’m a Midwestern gal at heart and though I spent most of my adolescence growing up in Las Vegas and now reside in Southern California, I’ll forever identify as having a Michigan heart. From poutine to pasties, my tummy will also forever thank me for that, ha! One of my favorite Midwestern treats is a Buckeye. If you’re not familiar with Buckeyes, they are little peanut butter balls rolled up in chocolate and they’re positively mouthwatering. My husband, a chocolate peanut butter addict, tried his first Buckeye last year while we were visiting family in Northern Michigan and he couldn’t believe I had withheld this glorious treat from him for so long, ha!
This Buckeye Cake starts with the peanut butter cheesecake filling and to get it started, you’ll add some peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, an egg, and some milk to a mixing bowl and beat it all together until smooth. Set it aside for now.
Next, you’ll grab a saucepan and add some water, butter, cocoa powder, and some espresso powder to it. Cook it on medium heat and whisk it all together until it just comes to a boil. Remove it from the heat and set it aside.
In another mixing bowl, you’ll add some flour, sugar, and baking soda and whisk it all together.
Next, add in the chocolate mixture, a couple of eggs, some vanilla, and sour cream and beat it all together until just combined.
Pour half of the chocolate batter into your well greased bundt cake pan.
And then spoon in the peanut butter mixture.
And finally top it off with the other half of the chocolate mixture.
Bake it at 350F degrees for about an hour and allow it to cool before removing it from the pan.
I iced it with some store bought chocolate frosting and garnished it with peanut butter chips to finish it all off in decadent glory!
This Buckeye Bundt Cake recipe is rich and divine and will go a long way in a crowd since it’s decadent and more brownie-textured than cake textured. A complimentary combination of peanut butter and chocolate flavors, it’s the perfect cake for your chocolate-loving family member or friend.
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup butter
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ heaping tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- In a large bowl, beat peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg, and milk together until smooth. Set aside while you prepare the cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350F and generously grease bundt pan.
- In a medium saucepan add the water, butter, cocoa powder, espresso and salt over medium heat, whisking to remove lumps. When butter is melted and the pot just comes to a boil, remove from heat and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and baking soda.
- Add in chocolate mixture, followed by eggs, vanilla and sour cream.
- Whisk together until sour cream is completely incorporated.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Spoon peanut butter cream cheese filling evenly over batter, ensuring it does not touch edges or middle tube.
- Cover the peanut butter filling with rest of cake batter.
- Bake in 350F degree oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan.
- To frost, simple use a can of store bought chocolate frosting and garnish with peanut butter chips.